Greve de Lecq Barracks were built as part of the defences made to repel a French invasion which was a constant threat during the Napoleonic War. Construction began in 1810 and, once completed, each barrack block could accommodate up to 125 troops sleeping in dormitories.
The army left in 1926 and the buildings fell into disuse. The Barracks were acquired by the National Trust for Jersey in 1972 and restored.
The National Trust for Jersey has a reputation for carrying out restoration of historic environments to the highest standards. It was the Trust’s intention to sustain this standard in the refurbishment of Greve de Lecq Barracks and to make an exemplar for the conservation of historic buildings in the Island. The Barracks are a “Site of Special Interest” and, given the objectives of the Trust, presented an important opportunity to demonstrate how the principles of Historic Building Conservation might be applied to the refurbishment of military structures. The historic integrity of the buildings has been respected and the external appearance remains unaltered.
The Barracks now offer comfortable self-catering accommodation under the Art-House scheme for visiting artists. Eight visitors now stay in rooms originally designed for 125 soldiers.